GUIDELINES FOR MAINTENANCE AND PRESERVATION
Failure to follow these maintenance and preservation guidelines will invalidate the warranty:
· Use a vacuum cleaner to remove without delay all abrasive substances (sand, glass slivers, crystal, cuttings, heavy dust, dirt, etc.) that can scratch the finish. Frequent vacuuming is recommended to prevent abrasive dust from accumulating on the surface and between the boards.
· Maintain relative humidity between 35% and 50% and temperature of approximately 68°F (20°C) in the room where the flooring is installed to minimize expansion and contraction.
· Clean the flooring surface using an industry approved urethane cleaner. Cleaning the surface once a month is a minimum maintenance requirement.
· Never use wax, household detergents, or oil based soap on the floor. These products may discolor and damage the finish and leave a greasy film, making the floor slippery and difficult to maintain afterwards. Mixtures of water and vinegar are not recommended, since vinegar has oxidizing effects on urethane over time. Brenco Exotic Woods recommends using Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner, Bona Free & Simple Hardwood Floor Cleaner, or similar product.
· Water is one of wood’s worst enemies. Never use large amounts of water to clean wood floors, and never use a saturated mop. Wipe up spilled water, liquids or detergents before they are absorbed by the wood fibers. The combined effect of water and sand is devastating to flooring. This is why it is important to place mats at each door way and in front of the sink, dishwasher, and work areas in the kitchen.
· Glue felt pads to the legs of furniture and chairs to avoid scratching flooring when objects are moved. Periodically examine the pads for wear and replace when needed. Do not use rolling chairs with casters on finished surfaces. Put them on rugs or Plexiglas chair mats. Place floor protectors under narrow casters, or replace them with wide rubber or flexible polyurethane casters.
· Do not drag furniture or heavy objects across the finished surface. Lift any furniture to be moved.
· Regularly trim your pets’ claws to prevent scratches and indentations.
· Avoid wearing high-heeled shoes on hardwood floors as they can mar the surface. Heel surfaces are so small that the pressure can easily reach 3,500 pounds per square inch. Worn or broken heels can mar flooring even more. Avoid walking on flooring in footwear with cleats or metal tipped soles.
· Protect wood surfaces from sunlight or any source of bright artificial light. Prolonged or repeated exposure to bright light can change the color of wood, even if surfaces are coated with a non-yellowing urethane.
· UV rays produced by the sun can alter the tone and color of your flooring. Exotic woods can age and natural become darker from exposure to light; therefore, Brenco does not recommend putting area rugs over new hardwood floors for at least 6 months. This will action will void any and all warranties.